Season 15 Round 8 / 60
Game Time 2022 May 28, 20:31 UTC(+00:00)
Asymmetric Formations
Rhino909
2022-01-21 06:58
Noticed a trend of lots of teams going with asymmetrical formations, as in they are not clean looking formations like 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-2-3 etc. They often don't have paired players like they may have one DML but not a DMR or one AMR and one ML (instead of a paired AML).

https://www.f4football.com/matches/report/5165 (This is a good example, with both teams going asymmetrical). Thorn Shield uses 1 DL (but no DR) and a single AMRC. Punk Fathers has 1 DMR (but no DML), 1 MR (but no ML), 1 MLC (but not MRC), and 2 forwards stacked together (a FC and FRC instead of a FRC and FLC).

Would like player's thoughts on using these formations (advantages vs. disadvantages)? Whether the match engine should account for the gaps these formations create if the opponent is using a symmetrical formation, and whether this is deviating from real-life gameplay?

Thanks for your thoughts :)
Fathima
2022-01-21 07:30 Edited by Fathima at 2022-01-21 07:32
I don't think it is deviating from real life gameplay. Even though teams list a symmetric formation on paper, the actual formations played on the field are completely different (example: Leeds under Bielsa, City/Barcelona under Pep).

In this game, it is needed when trying to man mark key players in the opponent team or to counter certain formations and tactics, especially since we do not have player level instructions and the positions that a player can play are limited (without penalty). I sometimes deploy that against better teams and have seen good results of my player's performances and drop in performances of the players that I was trying to nullify. And it is always best to play your players in their best positions rather than trying to adjust your formation to make it symmetrical.
Uchiha
2022-01-21 08:17
In terms of marking or close down you opponent is Match engine work like this where CB against CF,DM against AM,WB against WF and WM against WM...For Example If you have 2 AM facing an opponent with no DM then who is likely to stop those AM.
Rhino909
2022-01-21 08:33
Fathima wrote :
I don't think it is deviating from real life gameplay. Even though teams list a symmetric formation on paper, the actual formations played on the field are completely different (example: Leeds under Bielsa, City/Barcelona under Pep).

In this game, it is needed when trying to man mark key players in the opponent team or to counter certain formations and tactics, especially since we do not have player level instructions and the positions that a player can play are limited (without penalty). I sometimes deploy that against better teams and have seen good results of my player's performances and drop in performances of the players that I was trying to nullify. And it is always best to play your players in their best positions rather than trying to adjust your formation to make it symmetrical.

I agree with you about asymmetrical formations when a real-life team has possession are on attack, but defensively almost all teams use a symmetrical formation which the match engine cannot account for 2 different formations for defense versus possession. The few times I have tried asymmetrical formations (always against stronger teams) it usually ends up in a loss for me anyway, but tough to know how it would be if I had played a normal symmetrical formation since I can't prove a hypothetical.