Season 37 Round 1 / 60
Game Time 2024 Apr 28, 04:42 UTC(+00:00)
Changes to Transfer Restrictions
Jamie Best
2023-07-06 11:15
Have started a thread as per Tegimus' request. This has been discussed briefly in global chat and changes by a couple of users include things such as:

- change restriction of only 1 transfer between teams per season to 1 purchase and 1 sale
- increase purchase limit from 4 players to 6 or even 8 players per season.

Please could people reply with their thoughts and suggestions on any changes/improvements to the current transfer restrictions.
Engin Demir
2023-07-06 12:07
A) Buy 1, Sell 1 restriction per season between 2 teams seems fair.

B) I may have 2 suggestions regarding the transfer limit:

B1) Increase the transfer limit to 4+4. You can buy 8 players per season but any player after the 4th will induce a penalty to the WHOLE TEAM. Because so many new players would need time to get used to knowing each other. That penalty might be lifted in the next season or in 20 turns.

That way, teams will able to buy players but won't be able to achieve quick success simply by buying many players at once.

B2) Introduce Transfer TAX. As far as I know, there is currently none. There can be 2 types of Tax for transfers:
Transfer Tax: Standard 5% transfer tax of the total transfer value.
Profit Tax: Additional 10% tax from the transfer profit.

Example: I raised a player and sold him for 100 million.
Tax: 100m * 5% = 5 million.
I get 95 million from that transfer.
No profit tax, as this is my original player.

Player B bought that player from me and sold him for 200m.
Tax: 200m * 5% = 10 million.
Profit Tax: 10% (200-100) = 10 million.
B will get 180 million from that transfer.

Player C bought him and then sold for 50 million.
Tax: 50 * 5% = 2.5 million.
No profit Tax, as it is negative.
C will get 47.5 million from this transfer.
Ello
2023-07-06 12:53 Edited by Ello at 2023-07-06 13:01
Maybe allowing a 5th or 6th transfer might ease the profit tax issue and spark more interest into transfers.

I am not a fan of Engin's idea above, I think we need a simple rule:

Every season an established manager seems to decide to revamp their Squad and suddenly they transfer list 3 or 4 decent high exp older players, if I buy 1 I can't bid on a 2nd, this I feel needs to be changed. I would like to be able to buy at least 2 from a team and be able to sell to that same team. Only today I have had a manager prevented from bidding on my player because I bought off him at start of current season (we never did a deal ever before).

I like the idea of additional pre season deals but that gets complicated by the fact that bidding could see the deal spill into md1 or md2.

Personally I think increase transfers to 5 and allow 2 deals a season between the same two teams (any combination allowed not just buy 1 sell 1).

Then monitor the effect, if no hints of cheating consideration can be given to increase the rule to 6 deals the following season only if tegimus feels cheating is not increasing if it is then we go back to 4.

Another consideration is for purchases of players from the managerless teams not to be counted as a transfer. (If it is already, I don't know - never signed one yet 😂)
Fathima
2023-07-06 13:39 Edited by Fathima at 2023-07-06 13:40
I can't agree more. If I buy from a team, I shouldn't be stopped from selling to the same team in the season. Don't see any real problems with that. Tegimus mentioned in chat about player exchanges, but it won't give either selling team or the buying team any advantage (correct me if I am wrong).

Buying multiple players from same team - this is an issue. I agree with Tegimus, there will be users who will sell their best players to friends (or their own main team from a second team in case of cheaters). Limiting to 1 purchase per season is needed, allow more and there is a problem. And for genuine users, it is only rare that a team need to buy from the same team twice.

Increase number of transfers per season - I myself have asked this before. It is already hard to buy one top top player, let alone trying to buy a whole squad and rebuild in one season. If someone buys more than 4 players a season, they are not going to be top players anyway. I don't see a need for a restriction here at all. On top of that, you already have 10% luxury tax to your balance above 100m, so hoarding money for the future is even harder now. An argument against this might be people buying multiple cheap players who are old or retiring, but they won't be able to do it every season, it lasts only until they run out of money.

And something that no one mentioned so far is loans. Leave it as it is. 1 loan between teams per season is fine. Stops loan exchanges, promotes interaction between managers (think loan club) and stops trying to cheat by sending your players to second teams on loan.
Guildmaster Chax
2023-07-06 17:44 Edited by Guildmaster Chax at 2023-07-06 17:50
Engin Demir wrote :
B2) Introduce Transfer TAX. As far as I know, there is currently none. There can be 2 types of Tax for transfers:
Transfer Tax: Standard 5% transfer tax of the total transfer value.
Profit Tax: Additional 10% tax from the transfer profit.

transfer tax exists. not sure about the precise number, but it does exist.
edit: it's under a different flavor, but, here you go :

i'm not sure about removing transfer limit of 1 player between the same team though. as there are enough teams who can make big purchases more than once in a season.
Engin Demir
2023-07-06 18:15
@Guildmaster Chax, Thanks. Looks like it is 2%.
Tegimus
2023-07-08 07:55 Edited by Tegimus at 2023-07-08 07:56
We think these suggestions are valid after looking at the past few seasons' transfer activities.

The transfer restrictions will be changed from next season (Season 28) as detailed below. We can always analyse the effects more precisely and amend accordingly if needed later.
* Player purchases : The restriction of 1 transfer between teams per season (purchase or sale) will be changed to 1 purchase per season from the same team. You will be able to purchase a player from the same team even if you have sold a player to that team in the same season.
* Maximum number of purchases : The restriction of 4 players per season will be removed. There won't be any restrictions on this regard going forward, unlimited number of purchases will be allowed.
* Player loans : Restriction of one loan (in or out) between teams per season will remain as it is.

Hope this helps teams trying to utilize their funds more efficiently, especially towards end of seasons.
Herr Ademir
2023-07-08 11:59
Good change Tegimus, our economy system is now mature for that.
Paul Doe
2023-07-08 16:38
I'm not sure that changes will affect well. Players who have long been able to buy all promising players. Can you enter a ceiling of the transfer costs for the season?
Tegimus
2023-07-09 07:40
Paul Doe wrote :
I'm not sure that changes will affect well. Players who have long been able to buy all promising players. Can you enter a ceiling of the transfer costs for the season?

This was one of the concerns due to which we had the rule in place before. But looking at historical data, the richest teams don't even use their 4 per season quota regularly. Anyways let's see the results after removing the restrictions, and act on it if needed.
Michael
2023-07-10 06:47
XP has ruled out player stockpiling up to now.

There are some interesting age profiles amongst the top ranked teams though - entire squads who are between 28-30 years old

The change will allow those teams to break their fall when they get to their retirement cliff - just an observation as I don't have an issue with this mind you
Fathima
2023-07-10 08:25
Michael wrote :
XP has ruled out player stockpiling up to now.

There are some interesting age profiles amongst the top ranked teams though - entire squads who are between 28-30 years old

The change will allow those teams to break their fall when they get to their retirement cliff - just an observation as I don't have an issue with this mind you

Yes, player stockpiling doesn't work in this game. XP is a well thought out feature, I haven't seen similar in any other games.
I also think stockpiling money and rebuilding whole team at once is not a great option anymore due to luxury tax - you pay 10% for all money above 100m, so even if you save 500 million for future use, you lose 40 million from that every season for nothing.
Engin Demir
2023-07-10 10:58 Edited by Engin Demir at 2023-07-10 10:59
One warning for the future: Inflation will be an inevitable outcome of this system.

The game is very generous in giving out money and the tax system urges players to spend that money. That leads to an increase in demand and unless the supply can catch up, which doesn't look like it does, this time next year we will be seeing top players being sold for 400 million, minimum.

This will have its first side effect: Deprivation of B-class players. Teams will see the training of any player that lacks the potential of becoming a superstar as a waste of time. This will eventually kill the transfer market for players that can play in lower-tier teams. That already seems to be the case and this system will ensure it won't get up. This will create a challenge for any brand-new teams.

I've seen this leading to the downfall of many games in the past, even MMORPGs. Now, they are all pretty much surviving on their loyal veteran players since the system eliminates newbies in the first weeks/seasons. (I just checked while typing this and seems like most of them shut down)

Just something to consider.
Floyd007
2023-07-10 16:02
I can confirm money is not that generous in division 2. And the best fix I think is more players to increase supply. And I don't think we are quite at the point of no div 2 players yet. And more transfers in theory means more taxes taking money out.
Be interested to hear how the biggest teams are paying the salaries and facilities costs on their teams, as that should be a money sink.
Michael
2023-07-11 02:34
It would be good to have financial rankings to understand just how rich and profitable the top teams are. Rankings on stadium and facilities would be good too.

I am a perennial semi-finalist in domestic cups who qualifies for global comps each season but I do not generate big profits - $10m this season - would have been $80m (before taxes) ignoring a player purchase I suppose.

Now that there is a large cohort of teams with a maxed training centre the players new teams should be going for should be very different from the ones established players want, but that's not necessarily how new managers see it.

I think the high minimum purchase prices for B-class players (and ability to achieve release prices for weak players) is what may need tweaking to prevent new teams struggling (along with the negative impacts to finances and xp of bot teams that are too weak).